Club Setups

Casual chatter & off-topic talk in here please! Soon to be world-famous acts of neckery will take place in this very venue. Topics here are known to get out of hand! Not to be taken seriously by anyone.
sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Club Setups

Post by sharky » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:20 pm

I had the privilege on Saturday night to play at Garage Nation in room 2 and i've noticed a bit of a trend with some clubs and their secondary/other rooms.
Is it now the thing to not have a decent booth and or graphic/compressor to stop the sound/mixing becoming difficult ? I went off looking for a sound engineer at one point only to be told there wasn't one!!??!
This is not the first time i've encountered this, I just wanted to know if anyone had any similar experiences..
In short, i'm thinking of bringing a comp and a booth speaker to every event I attend now..
If you're going to put something on.... Don't brag, Just do; and for God's sake - do it properly!!!

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Club Setups

Post by thewisepranker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:22 pm

How would a compressor have helped? What exactly would you have been trying to achieve?

Undercover Neckz
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Undercover Neckz » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:21 pm

sharky wrote: This is not the first time i've encountered this, I just wanted to
Tell world you played at Garage Nation?? :D

Westflex
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Westflex » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:35 pm

Its a room 2 thing they dont give a fuck about their other rooms in some places, the other rooms/side rooms are the 1s usually taken on by other promoters on the night where they then hire their djs to sell shit loads of tickets. How was the room in general by the way ?

sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by sharky » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:35 pm

Undercover Neckz wrote:
sharky wrote: This is not the first time i've encountered this, I just wanted to
Funny fucker... Jealous Perhaps mate ??? You forget how long i've been on the circuit bro, i've played in more venues than you've had hot dinners, but lets not get silly eh lol :whistle

Prank: The idea was to keep the audio from clipping before it got to the amp, thus keeping eveything clean...

Flex: Room 2 was heaving mate, the place was packed solid, you could just about move.
I played the last set in room 2 at about 3-ish and the venue was still half full.

I streamed the whole thing live over the net, and it was recorded so i'll see if i can get hold of the recording and share the link. :)
If you're going to put something on.... Don't brag, Just do; and for God's sake - do it properly!!!

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:46 pm

There's a simple solution to that one...

;)

sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by sharky » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:08 pm

:lol:

WEBB-TECH
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by WEBB-TECH » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:04 pm

Room 2 at Camden Palace was one of the better ones I played on.

I genuinely have a bit of a love hate thing with playing out.

sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by sharky » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:42 pm

WEBB-TECH wrote: I genuinely have a bit of a love hate thing with playing out.
I know the feeling!!! I spend so much time either being a first aider or making sure everything's working properly that I forget to enjoy myself.

sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by sharky » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:44 pm

The problem is Prank, that only one of the DJ's on Saturday, was actually looking at their levels; and compensating where necessary... grrrr

Undercover Neckz
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Undercover Neckz » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:30 pm

sharky wrote:
Undercover Neckz wrote:
Funny fucker... Jealous Perhaps mate ??? You forget how long i've been on the circuit bro, i've played in more venues than you've had hot dinners, but lets not get silly eh lol :whistle

Prank: The idea was to keep the audio from clipping before it got to the amp, thus keeping eveything clean...

Flex: Room 2 was heaving mate, the place was packed solid, you could just about move.
I played the last set in room 2 at about 3-ish and the venue was still half full.

I streamed the whole thing live over the net, and it was recorded so i'll see if i can get hold of the recording and share the link. :)
Step aside EZ here comes the Sharky running the circuit Freek FM's all time finest. Next you'll think your David Guetta mate love it wicked tricks.

sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by sharky » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:53 pm

Undercover Neckz wrote:
Step aside EZ here comes the Sharky running the circuit Freek FM's all time finest. Next you'll think you're David Guetta mate love it wicked tricks.
Ya get me!! :lol: I was surprised to be asked!! But I was covering someone who couldn't make it so there you go, I wouldn't have been asked to be on the lineup otherwise; I know that..
I've gotten far too behind on the tech now to be anywhere near as good as I was when I started, but that's life innit blud 8-)
I had my time, enjoyed it; played at some wicked venues too. But I know i'm too old to be out all night now, I drove back on Sunday Morning fighting to stay awake ffs.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:30 pm

You'll :)

Undercover Neckz
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Undercover Neckz » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:34 pm

sharky wrote:
Undercover Neckz wrote:
Step aside EZ here comes the Sharky running the circuit Freek FM's all time finest. Next you'll think you're David Guetta mate love it wicked tricks.
Ya get me!! :lol: I was surprised to be asked!! But I was covering someone who couldn't make it so there you go, I wouldn't have been asked to be on the lineup otherwise; I know that..
I've gotten far too behind on the tech now to be anywhere near as good as I was when I started, but that's life innit blud 8-)
I had my time, enjoyed it; played at some wicked venues too. But I know i'm too old to be out all night now, I drove back on Sunday Morning fighting to stay awake ffs.
Thanks for the english lesson boys. :geek:
Lol were you covering someone all the times you've played out more than my hot dinners blud? :lol:

sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by sharky » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Ah you know what we're like :ugeek:

Again, i've gotta laugh, 'cause if you actually paid attention, you'd know that UKG is not my prefered genre anymore and actually hasn't been for about oooo say 8 years. But I still have a huge collection of vinyl and I do enjoy playing it from time to time.

What can I say?? #Hatersgonnahate

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:10 pm

sharky wrote:The problem is Prank, that only one of the DJ's on Saturday, was actually looking at their levels; and compensating where necessary... grrrr
Fair point, but you did say that you wanted it "to stop the sound/mixing becoming difficult". ;)

sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by sharky » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:30 am

Sorry I should've been a bit clearer. There was no booth at all, so the delay between mixer output and amplifier output was noticeable to the ear, very noticeable!! Lol
The original question was: why, in this day and age wasn't all this present??

TekMcr
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by TekMcr » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:34 am

Yeah it happens around the UK, room 2 is usually where the secondary 'filler dj's' play , although not every venue leaves their room2 vacant and so basic. Also, as a promoter myself if room2 had no monitor for the dj I would hire in extra. But that's modern day for you, kids running events with no dj experience

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Dai Pole » Mon May 02, 2016 10:47 pm

sharky wrote:Sorry I should've been a bit clearer. There was no booth at all, so the delay between mixer output and amplifier output was noticeable to the ear, very noticeable!! Lol
The original question was: why, in this day and age wasn't all this present??
Shitty Room 2 setups have always been common over the years, but club setups are getting worse. The best you can hope is that the mixer has split cue. Probably down to all the DJ's using the sync function in today's age. No headphones needed apparently.

Analyser
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Analyser » Fri May 06, 2016 8:43 am

In one of my previous jobs as a sound engineer I found this is mainly down to the promoter. If they care about the sound and the repuatation of their night then they'll ask for extra equipment as necessary if the sound is found lacking somewhere.
In some of the larger clubs they don't let you touch their install but this is rare if you approach them professionally. In your case I'm sure adding an amp and DJ monitor would have been easy and not a problem but it's something you can't just bring for your set, it has to be done at the beginning of the night and removed at the end.
With regards to keeping the sound clean, as TWP says that's up to you, keeping the mixer levels firmly in the red is a sure-fire way to distortion; in fact the highly popular Pioneer DJM series mixers are widely known for their nasty sound, especially when pushed. So, if you play on those keep it in the green for the best sound. Allen & Heath are much nicer (they know DJs love red lights) in this respect. A compressor in your case would have just made the whole thing more fatiguing.