USA steps up anti-pirate radio enforcement

Casual chatter & off-topic talk in here please! Soon to be world-famous acts of neckery will take place in this very venue. Topics here are known to get out of hand! Not to be taken seriously by anyone.
bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

USA steps up anti-pirate radio enforcement

Post by bristolpirates » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:29 pm

http://docs.house.gov/meetings/IF/IF16/ ... __-U13.pdf

Not sure if this is written in yet, but says the top fine can be $2,000,000!

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: USA steps up anti-pirate radio enforcement

Post by Albert H » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:11 pm

If you read it carefully, it says that there will be "Enforcement Sweeps" twice a year in "markets most affected". This is the big broadcasters getting scared by the little guys. Back in the early 80s, KPBJ and KBLT (40 Watts Out Of Nowhere) had a bigger audience each evening than all the legal stations put together in their coverage areas!

American corporate radio is dreadful - voice-tracked crap with minute playlists. My local station in the San Fernando Valley plays just 18 records in rotation and can't understand why they don't figure in the Arbitron Ratings. There are endless repeaters and translators - frequently carrying religious rubbish - and the few good stations that remain are being squeezed out of the advertising market, then bought out by the big boys and wrecked.

The pirate scene is pretty active. A popular trick is to take over one of the religious translators (you just need a few milliwatts on the input frequency) on any day except Sunday - there are 6-day-per-week stations doing this! You can get use of a 500W translator on a clear frequency with minimal risk for the price of a little stereo exciter and an MP3 player!
He who laughs last, thinks slowest! :lol:

SundayGroover
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by SundayGroover » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:32 am

Albert H wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:11 pm
American corporate radio is dreadful - voice-tracked crap with minute playlists.
Most large UK commercial stations are scarcely any better.
Gormless, talentless dross for the sound-bite instant gratification era that we seem to live in now.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:44 am

Groover - you're dead right. I was in Cambridgeshire recently and could hear eight "Heart" stations all over the dial, all playing crap presented by a computer. Automation has its place - 2am on a wet Monday morning works for me - but "prime time" weekday daytime? Certainly not!

The big radio groups in the UK can't understand why listening is declining. They're allowed a ridiculous amount of advertising each hour these days, they have stupidly limited playlists, and they have robots replacing real DJs. They don't deserve to survive!

Unfortunately, today's pirates really don't offer any alternative. The current crop are just playing records to their mates - they'll never have mass appeal with the narrow crap that each of them plays. Few of their DJs can speak comprehensible English - a prerequisite where I come from. Many of them are technically clueless - and worse yet, wear their ignorance and stupidity as a badge of pride. They don't deserve to be on the air!

Over here in the 'States (where I'm working at the moment), the pirates have some creativity and ability. They want to make programmes that are worth listening to - much better than the rubbish churned out by the automated "legitimate" stations. There's some real creativity, and with the availability of broadcast gear at reasonable prices, operated by people who properly understand it, there's some great radio around the dial in most cities. Over here, you can operate for months before you get a "Cease and Desist" notice - by post - from the FCC. That's the time you move the station. The FCC then have to go through all the legal rigmarole again for the new address.....

Back in the 80s, my stations just relocated every time the letter arrived. Eventually, the FCC Field Office got a Seizure Notice issued, and went to the output site and took the transmitter and link receiver away. We were back on fifteen seconds later - as soon as I could turn the link transmit aerial to point to the next site! The only time we had a significant break in transmission was when we had a seizure raid and the reserve transmitter was hit by lightning a couple of days later - we were off for 28 hours while I built and installed a new set of gear!
He who laughs last, thinks slowest! :lol:

SundayGroover
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by SundayGroover » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Albert H wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:44 am
Groover - you're dead right. I was in Cambridgeshire recently and could hear eight "Heart" stations all over the dial, all playing crap presented by a computer.
Bordering very closely to my neck of the woods.

Here in Suffolk I can receive Heart on 96.4 (my local TX from Great Barton), 103.0 for Cambs, 102.4 Norfolk, Peterborough 102.7 and Beds on 96.9. There's also a 4 watt relay in Newmarket on 97.5 I believe.

All sound awful from a technical perspective and have the same mind-numbingly boring and predictable output.
Such a waste of spectrum...... :|

(Although I'm doing my bit to counter that to some extent) 8-)