Link/Freq/Heat/Sun Problem

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
8-BALL
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Link/Freq/Heat/Sun Problem

Post by 8-BALL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:33 pm

Hi, don't quite how to explain this as its a very strange the problem we keep having. When ever its seems get warm or the sun comes out, 1st of all our audio gets very distorted, when cut the audio off its clear link (still scrolling rds too) anyway when it's seems to get at its warmest and suns beeming out (last Friday/part of today, Tuesday) then the problem gets worse, we gets this like horrible screeching sound and bleed over on shit loads of dials all coming up 'tuned' below us, then suddenly when it gets less warm when the suns goes in and it gets cooler, its almost like something is cooling down back to its normal temperture and everything is fine again, rigs 150w, microwave link, phase locked. Can't work this out we are going to start eliminating each part bit by bit, but we know there is a pattern with temperture. Surely this wouldnt be the sun/heat sending horn out of link as its going back to normal a few hours later. Any advice/help ??

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Link/Freq/Heat/Sun Problem

Post by teckniqs » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:43 pm

A good pal of mine recently had this same problem, sounds like the horn is drifting frequency when it gets hot. Using a sat can with a digital tracking circuit fixed the problem. What horn are you using?

8-BALL
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by 8-BALL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:58 pm

C&K horn mate 1 of the new flatter 1s, but what we cant understand is the rds still roilling plus why is our freq drifting onto lower dials and coming up tuned, we had this before last year with a dodgy horn but when it went out of link it stayed out until we retuned in this is totally differant mate

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:58 pm

I'll PM you....

RF-Head
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by RF-Head » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:33 pm

I think your audio is to loud on your x-band link and so you get a big bandwide your satcan has a bandwide of 27MHz (window) to receive your signal
When you tune a link up in the centre of the window so 13mhz left and right you can drift 13mhz up and down with temperture outsite
But when you modulate to loud this window will be less
So in worst case your link has a total bandwith of 27MHz your link must be 100% stable
What is do is modulate about 5mhz so i have enough bandwide to drift
You can check it easy without any eq
Put your rig on with a lnb connected without linked and put your audio level in rig rig so that you have about -20dB audio (-20dB to 100% modulation)
Hope this helps if not i have digital tracking receivers

8-BALL
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by 8-BALL » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:14 pm

Alright guys just seen the replies, problem sorted no we had a resistor put on the satcan and turned our power down by 20w 1 of them seems to of done the trick, could of also been the position the rig was when on, im assuming the rig some how was sensing heat and causing massive interference, whether the fan was affected in this position or what, 1 of them mysteries but glad its all sorted now.