Would these work to copy programs from a Sky HD box or a youview one?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Would these work to copy programs from a Sky HD box or a youview one?

Post by McDonalds » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:43 pm

Hello
I would like to back up my recordings on Sky & Freeview am I right in thinking these devices will do this?

http://www.ebuyer.com/583899-hauppauge- ... ArXO8P8HAQ

AND

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171519762800? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Reason I am asking here is cause a lot other boards don't like to talk about this sort thing?

Gum
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Re: Would these work to copy programs from a Sky HD box or a youview one?

Post by Gum » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:40 pm

Just download the telly... job done!

McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by McDonalds » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:07 am

There still a lot of stuff which comes on TV which cannot be though.
I had a DVD recorder but these are really hard to get these days. :(
I will try above devices I got one for £60 if its not right for me should be able to sell it back at £80.

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by shuffy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:07 pm

It's probably your best bet. Even if you can get the files off the hard drive in the sky box (I don't think there's any other way than taking the drive out of the box and connecting it to a PC) they're not much use as they require decrypting in the same way as your sky+ box would do using your viewing card!

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:17 am

shuffy wrote:It's probably your best bet. Even if you can get the files off the hard drive in the sky box (I don't think there's any other way than taking the drive out of the box and connecting it to a PC) they're not much use as they require decrypting in the same way as your sky+ box would do using your viewing card!
Correct! Even if you could access the programmes on the the hard drive, they'll be the raw transport stream and encrypted in NDS.

I'm not sure if the HDMI capture device will work either due to HDCP.

McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by McDonalds » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:30 am

This why I got the spliter I think it also removes HDCP My spliter came allready and works with my Sky HD box and blu ray player sending signal to both screens.

McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by McDonalds » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:28 pm

OK got it all set up and works great defo need the HDCP striper device for the youview and sky box but after it works fine.
Also wondering are there any good sites for streaming your live TV broadcast which I think can also be done now?

Optimus Prime
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Optimus Prime » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:47 pm

McDonalds wrote:.....Also wondering are there any good sites for streaming your live TV broadcast which I think can also be done now?
www.hdcast.org

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:31 pm

Theres not really any easy method to copy content from a sky box hdd, as mentioned it will be the encrypted ts stream. Grab yourself a dreambox or vu duo or other compatible linux sat box and use that with the sky smartcard and cccam or oscam etc... these will read the skycard directly and decode the ts, any recodings are written to hdd unencrypted as .ts files and you can play them using vlc on a pc directly from the satbox over local network share. All this should work providing the provider is not using a second layer of cw encryption also as is the case with foxtel and austar in Australia in an effort to stop people sharing the cards via card servers

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:12 am

nrgkits.nz wrote:Theres not really any easy method to copy content from a sky box hdd, as mentioned it will be the encrypted ts stream. Grab yourself a dreambox or vu duo or other compatible linux sat box and use that with the sky smartcard and cccam or oscam etc... these will read the skycard directly and decode the ts, any recodings are written to hdd unencrypted as .ts files and you can play them using vlc on a pc directly from the satbox over local network share. All this should work providing the provider is not using a second layer of cw encryption also as is the case with foxtel and austar in Australia in an effort to stop people sharing the cards via card servers
Yep they're using a second layer of encryption which means only the SD channels can be used.

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:25 am

Not even the sd channels. All the cw's are pre coded before being coded again into the ecm packet needed by the card for processing. The key needed to decode the pre cw encryption key is also coded and is sent via the emm update stream. Im not sure if sky in the uk have implemented this yet. If the receiver tells you its decoding nds, ie cccam shows green for nds but no pics on tv then you're dealing with pre cw encryption

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:58 pm

nrgkits.nz wrote:Not even the sd channels. All the cw's are pre coded before being coded again into the ecm packet needed by the card for processing. The key needed to decode the pre cw encryption key is also coded and is sent via the emm update stream. Im not sure if sky in the uk have implemented this yet. If the receiver tells you its decoding nds, ie cccam shows green for nds but no pics on tv then you're dealing with pre cw encryption
Yes they've already done it in the UK, but only on the HD channels if you activate the card in a specific receiver.

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:45 am

Interesting to know, as they haven't done this here in nz yet.