Thought I'd try one of these.....

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
thewoodstarr
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: Thought I'd try one of these.....

Post by thewoodstarr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:20 am

thewoodstarr wrote:
Analyser wrote:
teckniqs wrote:Maybe check it on an analyser then? Are you that guy they call 'Woody' who doesn't put any filtering in his rigs?

....That makes sense.
Unfortunately, this is correct. I've never seen a W***y rig but I was asked to repair a B1 link box of his a couple of years ago, and it was about the worst thing I've ever seen. It was supposed to be 20w and it was doing about 2w on B1 and 14w in the aircraft band. Matching was roughly tuned for B2 and no output filtering.
Alongside that the PLL was conpletely unstable and the audio coupled in to the oscillator with a 10nF capacitor. I couldn't work out at the time if that was done on purpose to try and stabilise the PLL but in the end I decided that would be far too clever of the builder. It was just like someone soldered random components into a box. Plus I got a shock off it because the mains live was brought to the front of the case and switched using one of those tiny Maplins micro toggle switches. The station who brought it to me paid a lot for it (I'd rather not say how much) and were told it was the best out there.

Mr "woodstarr", I'm not intending to slag you off for fun (you might be a really nice fella) but the equipment I saw was really really bad, you've still got a lot to learn about electronics and RF and letting stuff like that out of your workshop is not doing the scene any good. You might be selling 100s of rigs to big name stations but that doesn't make the equipment good. You have to remember that stations just put these things up on an aerial and have no test equipment to check them. If you keep on making stuff that broadcasts in the aircraft band you're going to end up in jail pretty quick.[/quo

Ok well wasn't one of mine, I did not make band one equipment. Always Microwave. You said the audio was coupled to the Oscillator with a 10nF? Hmm I am sure your a very nice guy, but how would that work full stop? So this device never worked? Do you mean 10 uF? Look it was nothing to do with me me, I never made band one equipment?
I will tell you why I didn't build on band 1, at the time when I was building, I used to live on the top of Boxhill in Surrey, next to me me was a military/aircraft installation antenna TX/RX . One time I was running a Band one TX made by Nick. I did get a knock on the door. It wasn't Harmonics or spurious emissions, it was the proximity. I was told sternly to turn it off. We used to rebroadcast Fresko, and later on flex on 102.0 Fm with no issues? So just the band 1 was a no go. Thats why I never built on band one.

sde-1104
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by sde-1104 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:24 am

Thread half cleaned - be nice!

Analyser
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Analyser » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:22 am

thewoodstarr wrote: Ok well wasn't one of mine, I did not make band one equipment. Always Microwave. You said the audio was coupled to the Oscillator with a 10nF? Hmm I am sure your a very nice guy, but how would that work full stop? So this device never worked? Do you mean 10 uF? Look it was nothing to do with me me, I never made band one equipment?
Ok, apologies then. I was told it was built by W***y. And yes, the 10nF cap was in circuit in the audio path. It did pass audio but sounded awful.
WRT to making radio equipment, most people just use a dummy load to tune their stuff up on so it doesn't cause any problem to nearby equipment. I guess if the dummy load is poor quality and you are very close to something sensitive then it may be an issue but for the most part not.

thewoodstarr
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thewoodstarr » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:07 am

Hi, I don't build as a rule anymore anyway, but sometimes I get roped in. We simply have never done poor audio quality. End of...My dummy Load cost £300 Mate! Mind you it is supposed to do 300 Watts continuous, in its friggin dreams! Oh well....:(

DJ Mikey
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by DJ Mikey » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Can I just add here, yes we have had W rigs, and we have never had a problem with any of he's gear, I'm pretty sure we would of had a visit by now had he's rigs been poorly made and we have used a fair few of he's rigs, audio has always been spot on, no bad feedback what so ever...

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:07 pm

thewoodstarr wrote:My dummy Load cost £300 Mate! Mind you it is supposed to do 300 Watts continuous, in its friggin dreams! Oh well....:(
My dummy load cost around £80 and will handle 600 W continuously.

Having an expensive dummy load does not mean that you have a good load.

3M amateur
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by 3M amateur » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:13 pm

SOTS 87 7 wrote:
LAZY wrote:Nicely done Sots. Do you have any pics of the finnished amp? What values did you use for the LPF, number of coils, Dia Etc?

Lazy
Hi Mr. Lazy, it is installed in a rack mount case and in use, lol, I will certainly try and upload some pics of the innards when I get a mo.
Amazingly this little amp when mounted on a decent heatsink doesn't even get hot. I recon the Chinese got that one right for a change. Feeding in Aprox 2 watts, with 98.7 watts out into a 50 ohm load at 87.7Mhz. Not bad at all. :D
Hi SOTS, I have a question about the coils you have made for this amplifier. Is it 4T on the first and 6T on the midle and 4T on the last coil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

radio-berlin
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by radio-berlin » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:38 pm

It depends on capacitor values either side of the coils.
Id go for 4T on each coil for the filter

thewoodstarr
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thewoodstarr » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:50 pm

Hi, thats about what I did, works well done it! 120 Watt from 1 watt Drive @ 28 Volts. Mind you in the kit, half my components were missing, or wrong... Good job sir, nicely made...

thewoodstarr
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thewoodstarr » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi, Good job sir, nicely made... works well done it! 120 Watt I am getting from 1 watt Drive @ 28 Volts. I have done my output coils slightly differently, and I am also using our own driver... One big moan is in my kit, half the components were missing, or wrong...

Never use the SWR protection, with no drive this circuit self osculates, likely at low frequencies and it will eventually destroy itself. Only draw back.....
Last edited by thewoodstarr on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:56 pm

It is nicely built, the SMT soldering looks like it was done on a flow-solder machine?

thewoodstarr
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thewoodstarr » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:06 pm

teckniqs wrote:It is nicely built, the SMT soldering looks like it was done on a flow-solder machine?
He`s done a lovely job of that, its better than mine...... lol

3M amateur
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by 3M amateur » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:45 pm

teckniqs wrote:It is nicely built, the SMT soldering looks like it was done on a flow-solder machine?
Hi, It is not an solder machine it´s only careful soldering. It is only accurate soldering and cleaning of flux.

3M amateur
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by 3M amateur » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:49 pm

Inside_1.jpg
3M amateur wrote:
SOTS 87 7 wrote:
LAZY wrote:Nicely done Sots. Do you have any pics of the finnished amp? What values did you use for the LPF, number of coils, Dia Etc?

Lazy
Hi Mr. Lazy, it is installed in a rack mount case and in use, lol, I will certainly try and upload some pics of the innards when I get a mo.
Amazingly this little amp when mounted on a decent heatsink doesn't even get hot. I recon the Chinese got that one right for a change. Feeding in Aprox 2 watts, with 98.7 watts out into a 50 ohm load at 87.7Mhz. Not bad at all. :D
Hi SOTS, I have a question about the coils you have made for this amplifier. Is it 4T on the first and 6T on the midle and 4T on the last coil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3M amateur
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by 3M amateur » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:49 pm

100 Watts fm stereo transmitter.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:50 pm

Nice professional job

SOTS 87 7
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by SOTS 87 7 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:53 pm

Hi Mr. 3M, Yes 4, 6, And 4.
That's a cracking job there, beautifully built. :tup

thewoodstarr
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thewoodstarr » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:34 am

[quote="3M amateur"]
Inside_1.jpg
[quote="3M amateur"][quote="SOTS 87 7"][quote="LAZY"]Nicely done Sots. Do you have any pics of the finnished amp? What values did you use for the LPF, number of coils, Dia Etc?

That`s an excellent Job, just maybe a little over the top for this device! But I like!

I have gone for the cheaper end of the Market. I tell you what all us of said that the Low pass filter looks wrong, it works and there is some strip line going on there, I played with all known filters, and the best seems to be the one specified, and the specs rated on my page are correct. so I am going to leave it. Anyway Here's ours.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321980775787? ... 1555.l2649

thewoodstarr
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thewoodstarr » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:22 am

[quote="thewoodstarr"][quote="3M amateur"]
Inside_1.jpg
[quote="3M amateur"][quote="SOTS 87 7"][quote="LAZY"]Nicely done Sots. Do you have any pics of the finnished amp? What values did you use for the LPF, number of coils, Dia Etc?

That`s an excellent Job, just maybe a little over the top for this device! But I like!

I have gone for the cheaper end of the Market. I tell you what all us of said that the Low pass filter looks wrong, it works and there is some strip line going on there, I played with all known filters, and the best seems to be the one specified, and the specs rated on my page are correct. so I am going to leave it. Anyway Here's ours. See it on Ebay:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321980775787? ... 1555.l2649

thewoodstarr
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thewoodstarr » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:22 am

Why has this been copied again?
Last edited by thewoodstarr on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.