Agilent/Keysight N6841A RF Sensor

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Agilent/Keysight N6841A RF Sensor

Post by Dai Pole » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:17 pm

I believe this is the same video that was previously posted on the original forum:

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Agilent/Keysight N6841A RF Sensor

Post by Maximus » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Absolutely love this video. Took me ages to find it after the original RN forum was closed.

It also kind of reminds me of frequency sharing/phasing/synchronising using GPS for some reason.

O/T it's a shame half the people that were in radio aren't on the forums any more. E.g. Y2K & RP. Some of the picture and stories were truly inspiring and educational.

Another O/T, where I am, apart from the HD fiber CCTV cams, there's plenty of private 1.2ghz cams down my street. It's funny watching the boy racers on my RTL dongle.

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Dai Pole » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Maximus wrote:Absolutely love this video. Took me ages to find it after the original RN forum was closed.
Certainly interesting innit. If Ofcom have a network of these I would imagine it's all automated, and “interesting” transmissions passed over to a human operative for closer inspection.
Maximus wrote:O/T it's a shame half the people that were in radio aren't on the forums any more. E.g. Y2K & RP. Some of the picture and stories were truly inspiring and educational.
True! Though perhaps they'll find their way here eventually. :tup

thetufparker
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by thetufparker » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:49 pm

Found some geezer - whilst on linked in - worked for agilent..

''This involved looking after a system of 70 sensors and ensuring that there was a little downtime as possible during the Games.

I have worked closely with Agilent in the development of the system, from fairly early on in the development where Ofcom were still testing the principle of the RF Sensors through to the current implementation with one of the largest sensor networks in the world.''

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:46 pm

There's one of these in Bevendean, so I heard...

thetufparker
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by thetufparker » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:40 pm

yeah? - wonder where? - the horse mast i guess...surely they would lock onto cs straight away. .. - guess it depends on where the others are located in order to pinpoint a tx.. maybe brighton has a plus in that respect as we can never have a sensor south of us..

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:44 pm

Some MOD mast with some strange very looking aerials on it. Never heard of the horse mast.

thetufparker
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by thetufparker » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:13 pm

haha. .nah - you probs know of it by another name. . think i know of this other mod mast, but never been there - on the other hill.. weird place for it tho - as surely truleigh, racecourse or sussex heights would suit better..

Gum
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Gum » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:34 pm

teckniqs wrote:There's one of these in Bevendean, so I heard...
Sounds like a prime location for a rig... ;)

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:10 pm

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:25 am

thetufparker wrote:yeah? - wonder where? - the horse mast i guess...surely they would lock onto cs straight away. .. - guess it depends on where the others are located in order to pinpoint a tx.. maybe brighton has a plus in that respect as we can never have a sensor south of us..
This technology doesn't need the traditional second site a substantial distance and angle away to triangulate as it can ascertain the vector and magnitude derived from the measured propagation delay and field strength more than adequately within a single station.

thetufparker
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by thetufparker » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:24 am

thats the horse mast i was taking about techniqs.. theres also another on the other side of bevendean valley also. . still got the keys for horse mast somewhere..

NOYB
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by NOYB » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:36 am

This technology doesn't need the traditional second site a substantial distance and angle away to triangulate as it can ascertain the vector and magnitude derived from the measured propagation delay and field strength more than adequately within a single station.
Unless I misunderstand you I don't agree. The video clearly states that you need more than one station (if you want to know a location, not just a locus of points), and that the accuracy improves with the number of sensors and if they surround the transmitter or not.

Interesting the location of the pirate in the video. I suspect the tool would be capable of locating it much more precisely - I was waiting for him to reduce the scan width and make longer measurements which surely will improve the resolution. Maybe they did not want to reveal how accurate they can be!

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:56 am

I didn't watch the video. Check out the E3238S.