Streaming Stereo Tool

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Streaming Stereo Tool

Post by Albert H » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:46 pm

I thought that it had really been simplified with Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora.

I've been working with Linux since 1992, and I certainly wouldn't use anything else. I have a desktop Windoze thing here for when I need to test a port of something I've written, but it mostly remains in the corner of the office, gathering dust! I also have a couple of Macs, but one needs a hardware repair (and I haven't got the time) and the other was trashed by an Apple "upgrade", so was wiped and is now the nicest Linux Mint laptop I've ever seen!

Linux is now the world's predominant OS in many fields - Linux, Apache Server, MySQL and PHP are the standard way to build a commercial website, all Android phones and tablets run the Linux kernel underneath the shiny stuff, every internet address command is Unix, and all big servers ship with pre-installed Linux, so Windoze is just becoming a poor proprietary client for a Unix world. The smart money is betting against Microsoft surviving!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

lelos09
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by lelos09 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:38 am

Windows is for a home user and for simple things without any security and Linux is LINUX that's all....more difficult but you can do many many things with them....many times i have stuck too but with some help you can continue.

To come back to the reason of this topic i have stauck how can i setup an external flac encoder at liquidsoap because internal is not so good at sound quality....can somebody help?

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:09 pm

I only have one machine on Windoze, and that's because it's built for playing games.

Sent using Tapatalk

SolderingOn
ne guy
ne guy

Post by SolderingOn » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Windoze is OK for desktop wibble. Linux is the daddy when it comes to reliable embedded/server solutions.

To answer some questions -

1. The stock Pi soundcard is crap. I use the element32 add on cirrus/wolfson card

2. To obtain the mpx_ip, use something like -

Code: Select all

mpx_ip = input.alsa()
mpx_ip = mean(stereo.pan(pan=-1., mpx_ip))
3. I took used the mpx output directly from StereoTool, so I wasn't digitising an existing MPX signal (much better to stick in the digital domain) but analogue MPX should work. StereoTool presents its output via jack, so you'd do -

mpx_ip = input.jack(id="stl-ip")
Note that I wasn't using a Pi to run StereoTool or to generate the FLAC stream. That said, StereoTool is available for the Pi, so I might try that.

The stock FLAC encoder is fine, no need to use external encoders in liquidsoap.

I'll try to knock up another test rig to revisit what I had working.

HTH.

lelos09
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by lelos09 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi again,
with this example

mpx_ip = input.alsa()
I only get RDS and no stereo at all.
Also if i stream at %flac from the other side i can not hear anything.
If i stream %ogg(%flac... only then i can hear sound and if i do not use stereo.pan i got both Rds and Stereo.
Any help ?

lelos09
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by lelos09 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:38 pm

Also 50% low output....

g2000
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by g2000 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:34 pm

I'm having a bash at this, as I want to use a Raspberry Pi (Plus decent sound board) at my TX... (Also going to add a power relay, so I can turn the TX off and on with a cron job - nice!)

I'm using a linux VPS that runs Airtime to manage shows and DJs. Also planning on running StereoTool there, as there is more CPU available (From what I read the Pi at the Tx site would struggle with the processing load of StereoTool?).

I'm trying to take the airtime mp3 stream, run through stereotool, then stream as lossless flac, then simply play at the TX.

Struggling with my command line to do this - Any pointers? It's the FLAC streaming to icecast that i'm unable to get going. I believe it needs encapsulating as ogg-FLAC, but can't find a way of streeaming it!!! anygone got clues?

mpg123 -w - http://<server-ip>:8000/main_320 | stereo_tool_cmd_64 - - -s my_settings.sts | <wtf here? ices? flac?>