Typical hilltop range Vs Watts

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Typical hilltop range Vs Watts

Post by MiXiN » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:40 pm

I've met a Girl recently who lives in a really high area of Manchester, and it's possible to see about 30 miles in all directions on a clear day. It's easy to see all the way to Jodrell bank from here and apparently possible to see Blackpool tower through binoculars which is around 40 miles away.

If I was to use a NRG 1W/4W Transmitter into a 1/4 wave GP antenna what kind of range could I expect to typically achieve using it on both power settings?

I also have a 20W amplifier, so what range could I also expect to see using this?

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Typical hilltop range Vs Watts

Post by shuffy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:53 am

Joddrell Bank, Blackpool Tower and 30 miles in all directions? Can only think of 2 places :)

Since VHF propagation is to all intents and purposes line of sight, in theory, your signal will make it to the horizon which in your case is a long way. How well it will be received when it gets there though, depends on the effective amount of welly you're running towards the horizon, and the amount of noise you're competing with as well as other factors like receiver sensitivity. RF field strength at a distance from the TX is inversely proportional to the square of the distance so to be twice as strong you need to run 4 times the power. Basically though, it depends on obstacles and the amount of noise on the frequency you're using. There aren't many good clear frequencies in Manchester, and the band is a heck of a lot noisier than it used to be 20 years ago!

Anyway enough of the theory. These are low powers you're talking about, so even if your signal goes a long way because of the height it will not be strong. Using 1 Watt with your ground plane antenna, and with an average receiver, you ought to be able to manage listenable stereo a couple of miles away. Using 4 Watts, in theory your signal strength will be twice as solid as with 1W, but probably wont extend the listenable range more than another mile or so. Your 20W will probably get you about 10 miles, but after that it will be pretty ropey in most locations due the the poor field strength competing with the noise and physical obstacles near the receiver.

That's just finger in the air based on my experience - over to you to prove me right or wrong!

thestig
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thestig » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:15 pm

You are pretty spot on there shuffy on the whole.
.ʍǝıʌ ɟo ʇuıod ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ ǝɟıן ʇɐ ʞooן oʇ pǝǝu noʎ sǝɯıʇǝɯos

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by FMEnjoyer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:55 pm

here is my guesses. the signal will be a bit different in each direction. in da best directions with 4watts and a very clear frequency you could get 10miles with a good receiver at the end. 20 watts you could go 25 miles with very clear frequency there my estimateions i have had 17 watt go 16 mile but seemed to go a bit in one direction and only about 12 the otherways i have had 15 watt do 20 mile and it aint no high place specially

put it this way it will go far given thats low power with bad frequencys much less

Mr F
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Mr F » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:57 pm

http://lrcov.crc.ca/main/

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:21 pm

Rf toolkit on www.nautel.com will give you 90% accurate coverage if you put in correct data. Tested with few on air taransmitters. In some cases it is even 95% accurate.

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:35 am

Nice one guys.

I'll set it up one of these days and get a pal to have a drive around and do a range check.