Streaming to android phone ( link)

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Streaming to android phone ( link)

Post by MiXiN » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:02 pm

Both me and my Fiancee migrated to Giffgaff about 8 weeks ago and the data service is dismal at the best of times, however, we take advantage of the free Giffgaff to Giffgaff calls/texts and goodybags which are great value bundles.

The data issues may just be a greater Manchester Cheshire thing, but for data we bought a 2nd phone each and use Orange. Although expensive, it's really quick and reliable.

Optimus Prime
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Optimus Prime » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:25 pm

3 One Plan - (£20 a month) with 5000 minutes, 5000 texts & unlimited data (I mean TRULY unlimited, without any caps whatsoever! With me & my lady tethering the net off my phone indoors I usually get through about 12-15gb a month)

Been on it for about a year now & never looked back! No other network can test with data plans/value, trust me!

thetufparker
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by thetufparker » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:31 pm

riot wrote:The DJ's on my station are gonna be streaming from their own places as we don't have a studio. When I link to the TX with a smartphone will I still need to run it through a compressor/limiter and then the TX?
up to you..
in my mind it would help 'normalise' your signal. . otherwise how do you get each studios broadcast levels the same - on a laptop breakaway or similar does that job .. mentioned before - you can get cheap behringer comp/limiters minimons or something.. maybe even a simple limiter circuit built in to ya tx on the audio input?..

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re:

Post by teckniqs » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:38 am

Optimus Prime wrote:3 One Plan - (£20 a month) with 5000 minutes, 5000 texts & unlimited data (I mean TRULY unlimited, without any caps whatsoever! With me & my lady tethering the net off my phone indoors I usually get through about 12-15gb a month)

Been on it for about a year now & never looked back! No other network can test with data plans/value, trust me!
Is that not a contract deal though? Wouldn't really be advised to use anyone's contract for their stream link phone. :o

Optimus Prime
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Re: Re:

Post by Optimus Prime » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:09 am

teckniqs wrote:Is that not a contract deal though? Wouldn't really be advised to use anyone's contract for their stream link phone. :o
Valid point!! 3 PAYG it would have to be then!

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by shuffy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:49 am

I've got a feeling 3 were binning the one plan anyway, because too many people were using it!

thetufparker
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by thetufparker » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:05 pm

riot
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by riot » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:23 pm

thetufparker wrote:
riot wrote:The DJ's on my station are gonna be streaming from their own places as we don't have a studio. When I link to the TX with a smartphone will I still need to run it through a compressor/limiter and then the TX?
up to you..
in my mind it would help 'normalise' your signal. . otherwise how do you get each studios broadcast levels the same - on a laptop breakaway or similar does that job .. mentioned before - you can get cheap behringer comp/limiters minimons or something.. maybe even a simple limiter circuit built in to ya tx on the audio input?..
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking pretty much the same as what you were. Just wanted to double check.

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:43 pm

Only a matter of time regarding the Three unlimited tethering, I suppose. I've been using about 40 Gb per month for a while now, but I'd say less than 2 of that is due to tethering. All good, then!

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:43 pm

GiffGaff have cottoned on to Tethering and I always get a message telling me my internet service has been blocked for 30 mins. It used to work fine and was absolutely ideal when we used to be on Virgin Media here at home when it always used to go down, thankfully we're now with BT Fibre Optic.

You can still use GG no problem with a phone link though.

LAZY
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by LAZY » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:30 pm

Don't use giffgaff if you want an unlimited internet for a stream. This is the second account they've cancelled.

We recently contacted you regarding the way your unusual data usage pattern was impacting the overall experience of all our members (Important info regarding your unlimited data usage).

This email contained advice on how you could reduce this impact. It was also a warning about how you would be prevented from buying unlimited data goodybags if you didn't change your usage pattern.

Since our first email, we have not noticed a change in your data usage pattern and will now prevent you from re-purchasing an unlimited data goodybag once your current goodybag expires.

You can keep on using your £18 goodybag normally until it expires on 31/03 but you won't be able to purchase a new unlimited goodybag after this date.

Please note that this restriction applies to any other giffgaff number you may have and we reserve the right to cancel and refund any unlimited data goodybag bought on another account.

We will consider lifting this restriction in the future provided that your account remains active.

Thank you for your co-operation,

The giffgaff team

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:33 pm

"Thank you for your co-operation"

That's a bit, er, "the regime"...

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:18 pm

I've used GiffGaff with a 48k AAC+ Mono stream and never had any problems. I'm guessing if you're using any higher than 48k you might get strung, 40-48k AAC+ sounds nice anyway so it's fine.

information
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by information » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Three are the daddy's when it come to using a phone as a link.. (Depending on area of course)

128kbps MP3 will work but very unreliable so loads of buffering!!
96kbps MP3 works very well but still on occasion the odd buffer..
80kbps MP3 is the perfect for the connection but the audio suffers!!
80kbps AAC is spot on, sounds great and consistent connection for weeks (on three) only problem is some popup players don't like AAC..

Optimus Prime
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Optimus Prime » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:27 pm

Three are now capping their monthly internet allowances (3.5gb is now the maximum limit I think!) & have ditched unlimited plans (One Plan etc) due to the network getting violated through excessive use/tethering - However if you took out a contract with unlimited internet before they locked it all off (which was at some point this year I think) then you can still use as your unlimited plan as normal without any new changes taking affect.

Don't know if the new caps apply to their PAYG plans too?.....