Good fm loft aerial for a tecsun?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Kentdx
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Good fm loft aerial for a tecsun?

Post by Kentdx » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:55 pm

I'm looking into an aerial I can install in the loft or possibly on the roof or up a tree which I can plug into a tecsun pl600 to try and pull in some of the London pirates? What do you guys into fm dxing use? I'm thinking about a half dipole or a full dipole but I want to be sure it would be considerably better than the tecsuns built in whip which is pretty awesome anyway.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Good fm loft aerial for a tecsun?

Post by teckniqs » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:00 pm

A directional beam antenna is what you need, it won't work half as well in the loft as it would out of it and that's if you even have the space in the to be able to direct the beam towards London.

I recommend a vertically polarised 5 or 6 element beam for best results roof or tree mounted. You want at least a 3 element but bear in mind that the 3 element beams may be more discrete but they will still pull in more unwanted signals from other directions much less like the 5 or 6 element types. :tup

Kentdx
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Kentdx » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:35 pm

Cheers matey, I'm reading up on a triax fm-5 and thinking pointing that towards town could be a possible solution. Maybe a rotator would be pretty cool too

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:43 pm

Probably be better to get something a bit more selective than the Tecsun going if you're running a beam. You can pick up some decent car stereo's cheap and they work much better than the Tecsuns.