Why are mobile radio stations Not more common?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Why are mobile radio stations Not more common?

Post by McDonalds » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:25 pm

I think it would be really fun to have van and to be able to have a long pole with dipole that can be attached.
They could be lots of places to broadcast from to.
There quite a few empty places so music would not bother any one.
The rig could be run from a generator or solar panel if just a few watts if up on a hill some where.
Could be many places to hide like in woods or forest.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Why are mobile radio stations Not more common?

Post by sinus trouble » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:23 am

Hello Mcdonalds! :)
Lol I actually think the whole concept of having a mobile studio where you could park up on a green hill, breath the fresh air and chill to some tunes on a summers day would be great!! :D
But the flaw in the radio side is consistancy! :( Broadcasting requires you to be reliable and on air 247 to get a large amount of listeners! :(
There is most likely people around the country doing a mobile station?? but you just dont know where they are?? lol
I am as stupid as I look! :|

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by dancemusicdj » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:49 pm

its an interesting idea actually. consistency is of course the key to a large listenership, but lets say a particular group wanted to hi-light something around the country, an RSL allowing them to broadcast from different towns during the year could be an idea. a kind of mobile community radio station if you will. RTE the state broadcaster here in ireland used to do such a thing i believe before local commercial radio came along.

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by FMEnjoyer » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:58 pm

it a good question especially good for the true anorak necks and fun :tup you get very far on a hill some are high up above houses so it can go far

verticalvince
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by verticalvince » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:51 pm

av a mobile antenna so239 comet style came new with diamond gutter mount marked FMuser heres a video sorry its not HD mobile 3mtr antenna

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:18 am

The reason it's so uncommon is because there's such a lack of anyone these days with the desire to do it and there's such a lack of listeners these days if you just put something small up on a hill in a car or with a battery you probably wouldn't get any texts by the time it's ran flat or you get bored and go home for your dinner.

verticalvince
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by verticalvince » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:35 am

our gen grew up tuning radios in the big boys did it so we did it too music has become to personal to the listener digital has killed it all but its been the best time to be part of it over last 20yrs or so pirates from the boat dats not millions of info on net but stations over last 20 odd years are well documented as we are in the digital age our history has never been recorded in soo much detail as its been recorded now to be lucky enough to be recorded for fuck nos how many years in the future fuck we may even get taugh to the young in history classes as radio was a technological breakthru for man kind and forevermore has been evoling changing our lifes constantly

shorty
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by shorty » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:10 am

Also back in the day the dial was pretty much empty apart from the bbc and one or two ilr stations miles away if you were lucky so even as a part time pirate weekend station you knew people had been waiting all week for when you switched the transmitter on friday night at 7pm the weekend started and the phone would be busy till switch off midnight sunday.

Your only choice of music back then was the top 40 on the beeb and com station with golden oldies on medium wave, so if you were young and wanted to listen to dance music at the weekend it was pirate radio filling a massive hole in the radio scene, the beeb as usual way behind the times and getting a licence was impossible even though the band was empty.

The way people listen to music as changed so much and freely available on demand no matter what genre your into, back then vinyl records were expensive to buy even cd's were costly when they came out, now you can carry thousands of songs around with you in your pocket.

Will the last person listening to fm go round and switch the transmitter off.

verticalvince
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by verticalvince » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:43 am

just as you say how easy tracks are to find for free think the hardest vinyl i ever hunted down was ezee posse everything starts with an E white label bootleg £53 notes also EKO renegade rewind limited EDT 12" £80 fucking bangers both can get now for under a £5 .. we had rules six hour broadcast start 6 off at 12 if sober or no cows up wanting to see the magic happening otherwise about 2ish was standard fri n sat only and miby a wed,, 4+ phones id just give em to the record getters and booze buys you know the ones that hang about live in same block lol non fucking stop think record number calls 580 could have been 850 cant remember just know it has 5 n 8 in it and for sure not a record of 58 lol .. im sure we got the prime of the time the start of the digital dawn everyone had or was getting a nokia ringo or the orange motorola PAYG mobiles rave was dying techno bouncin in with its jittery jaw and and super chins.... searching for that fucking bootleg cos ye know if ye get it in yer set it will be the MIX of all MIXES and with the pills and like minded ppl you knew its was worth the wait..... back then choonz n pills that was it..... now everywhere just seems student type skinny jeans beats headphones wont even take a flier , some asked recently what it was all about told em it evoled from pirate radio reply naa mate i prefer to download legally..... eh...!!!!! WTF am like no one wanna buy a dead horse am giving for free lol... the only way it can be put back on the map is something big something major unexpected..... just an idea a uk wide simultaneously broadcast a carefully coordinated link up with all active pirate stations covering most if not the full of uk loads of media attention from the first day of broadcast first day of on air inform / invite local press ,,local radio,, even bloggers fuk everyone inform em uk wide pirate broadcast non stop until close down... now as media only kno from first day ofcom will be ill equipped to deal with a uk wide simultaneous broadcast as soon as one bust goes down ... bang right in with a back up it will take weeks even months for ofcom to get the man power to close all the linked stations .... yeah something big is the only way for fm pirates to accept this harsh decline ... it would be remembered, parliament would bring out new acts and laws to ensure it never happen again,,, the 3mtr band would be barred fm made illegal dab only no lol...... you know it makes sense

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by FMEnjoyer » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:00 pm

verticalvince wrote:our gen grew up tuning radios in the big boys did it so we did it too music has become to personal to the listener digital has killed it all but its been the best time to be part of it over last 20yrs or so pirates from the boat dats not millions of info on net but stations over last 20 odd years are well documented as we are in the digital age our history has never been recorded in soo much detail as its been recorded now to be lucky enough to be recorded for fuck nos how many years in the future fuck we may even get taugh to the young in history classes as radio was a technological breakthru for man kind and forevermore has been evoling changing our lifes constantly
pirate radio meet the museum.

Sad time
verticalvince wrote:just as you say how easy tracks are to find for free think the hardest vinyl i ever hunted down was ezee posse everything starts with an E white label bootleg £53 notes also EKO renegade rewind limited EDT 12" £80 fucking bangers both can get now for under a £5 .. we had rules six hour broadcast start 6 off at 12 if sober or no cows up wanting to see the magic happening otherwise about 2ish was standard fri n sat only and miby a wed,, 4+ phones id just give em to the record getters and booze buys you know the ones that hang about live in same block lol non fucking stop think record number calls 580 could have been 850 cant remember just know it has 5 n 8 in it and for sure not a record of 58 lol .. im sure we got the prime of the time the start of the digital dawn everyone had or was getting a nokia ringo or the orange motorola PAYG mobiles rave was dying techno bouncin in with its jittery jaw and and super chins.... searching for that fucking bootleg cos ye know if ye get it in yer set it will be the MIX of all MIXES and with the pills and like minded ppl you knew its was worth the wait..... back then choonz n pills that was it..... now everywhere just seems student type skinny jeans beats headphones wont even take a flier , some asked recently what it was all about told em it evoled from pirate radio reply naa mate i prefer to download legally..... eh...!!!!! WTF am like no one wanna buy a dead horse am giving for free lol... the only way it can be put back on the map is something big something major unexpected..... just an idea a uk wide simultaneously broadcast a carefully coordinated link up with all active pirate stations covering most if not the full of uk loads of media attention from the first day of broadcast first day of on air inform / invite local press ,,local radio,, even bloggers fuk everyone inform em uk wide pirate broadcast non stop until close down... now as media only kno from first day ofcom will be ill equipped to deal with a uk wide simultaneous broadcast as soon as one bust goes down ... bang right in with a back up it will take weeks even months for ofcom to get the man power to close all the linked stations .... yeah something big is the only way for fm pirates to accept this harsh decline ... it would be remembered, parliament would bring out new acts and laws to ensure it never happen again,,, the 3mtr band would be barred fm made illegal dab only no lol...... you know it makes sense

all it needs is someone to have a station that plays something out of the ordinary as in something worth hearing cults and legends are not made from playing out false underground music and being an also ran copy

get original

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:41 pm

I thought about doing a bit from one of the hills but the lack of 12V Mixers and other DJ stuff that runs off 12V put me off.

It's a damn good idea, and I think it would be real easy to avoid Ofcom due to changing locations.

McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by McDonalds » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:01 pm

MiXiN wrote:I thought about doing a bit from one of the hills but the lack of 12V Mixers and other DJ stuff that runs off 12V put me off.

It's a damn good idea, and I think it would be real easy to avoid Ofcom due to changing locations.
Also you could have CCTV or cameras so if any one comes near you can turn it off.
Hell you don't even have to broadcast from the hill you could have a link and put rig further away.
Just a shame not many listen on dial now so might not be much point any more.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:55 pm

MiXiN wrote:I thought about doing a bit from one of the hills but the lack of 12V Mixers and other DJ stuff that runs off 12V put me off.

Done it live on a laptop from a car up on Winter Hill, Lancashire and a few other huge hills around Manchester a few years ago and banged out silly. Was mixing live on the laptop with the microphone just plugged into the laptop, it worked well and banged out a fair distance with 50-60w into an FM car magmount.

verticalvince
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by verticalvince » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:54 am

you remind me of roy djtabliod used to use winterhill alot went a few times when living in cifton pendlebury

Steambod
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Steambod » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:14 pm

McDonalds wrote:

Also you could have CCTV or cameras so if any one comes near you can turn it off.
Hell you don't even have to broadcast from the hill you could have a link and put rig further away.
Just a shame not many listen on dial now so might not be much point any more.
trouble is finding tx sites accessible by car/van which aren't so bloody obvious even a dead ham could find them :D
Other problem is keeping a consistent signal otherwise any listeners will give up if your sig is crap the next time.
Plus hanging around long enough to get an audience or plastering the area in posters advertising your station.
Who needs 12V mixers when you've got a laptop?

These days people don't want the hassle and just stick it out on the internet.

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:16 pm

You will be surprised how much runs on 12 V, although a lot of equipment requires a negative rail, which means two batteries. CDJs run on +12 V and +5 V, which isn't too difficult to get from 12 V.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Modified sine inverters are cheap these days! The whole setup could probly run on less than 250w
Power consumption is small on most audio equipment!
just keep the engine running or you might end up stuck on that hill!! LOL :D
I am as stupid as I look! :|

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by shuffy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:46 pm

Where there's a view, there are always ramblers, Vauxhall corsas full of 17 year old kids getting stoned, and doggers. Guaranteed. Unless you go bloody miles away out in the middle of nowhere, which is also more trouble than it's worth! Find a block!

McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by McDonalds » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:18 am

A pole like this would be nice but with dipole on. And on a van for extra hight.
https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=54F51357
Its a BBC Essex car.

Uksoundz
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Uksoundz » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:20 pm

I've always fancied this.
Driving up a big hill and switching on for a few hours.

Teckniqs you mention an FM car magmount, do you have a link?