Sinus 1watt PLL

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:33 pm

It was 2 months ago.. ebay was full of them!
They are from china but they are working their job as it should...

Edit: Try to search for item number 300893596881
Not cheap as it was, but 15$ for 100 pcs is still decent price...

nrg-uk
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: Sinus 1watt PLL

Post by nrg-uk » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:53 am

Hey sinus give me a call i have loads of bb809s i can send you some also good work with the board mate

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:41 pm

Many thanks berlin and pjeva! :)
C13 on my layout diagram i think would be a good placement for another varicap exclusively for tuning! :) il give it a go! :)
I am as stupid as I look! :|

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:48 pm

nrg-uk wrote:Hey sinus give me a call i have loads of bb809s i can send you some also good work with the board mate
nice 1 Mr NRG :)
Currently i have loadsa MV104s for the moment! But i will be in touch soon geez! :)

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:23 pm

The NRG philosophy was to use "standard" components, and not use pre-programmed ICs at all. The idea was that if you broke it, you'd be able to buy spares to mend it anywhere in the world.

Also, the NRG boards were single-sided for a few reasons: The push-pull oscillator coils didn't like being too close to a groundplane, Stephen believed that the "numpties" building the boards would have trouble removing incorrectly located parts, and the PCB-etching company (Fisher Plastics in Bradford) couldn't do double-sided! We built a few on double-sided boards and the (already low) carrier noise was reduced, and the output spectrum was a bit cleaner. We also added screens to separate the logic from the RF, and that improved things still further....

Remember - all electronic design is compromise!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:32 pm

A quick fix for varicaps - if you need a small swing (like for modulation), just use a 1N4148 reverse-biased. If you need mode mod sensitivity, use two in parallel!

If you need a larger swing - for VCO tuning - try reverse-biased green LEDs! You'll be pleasantly surprised how well they work. One thing - don't let light (particularly fluorescent or LED light) get on to them, or you'll get hum. I paint them black with a marker pen!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:51 pm

That is true! All diodes have a capacitance, some smaller than others!
Leds and the 1n4148 are sensitive to light!
both can be used as basic photodiodes! :)

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:26 am

That's why I paint them with black marker!!!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

Uksoundz
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Uksoundz » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi, sorry to dig up an old thread but I'd like to have a go at building this.

Where oh where can I find a 5k resistor, can't seem to find that value anywhere? Anything else that could be used?

Uksoundz
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Uksoundz » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Actually come to mention it I can't find quite a few of these parts. Are some of them now outdated?

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Greetings Mr Soundz :)

The 5k was a bit of trial and error to begin with, A 6k8 will work fine!

The other parts are all still available from Dutch RF Shop (SAA1057, PIC16F84A, BF199, 2N4427)
The trimmer caps have a couple of options? A 6-80PF red can be used in the output but may have pinout differences? I now use the Teflon 5-65PF type, A bit overkill but are robust and fit the PCB perfectly

I had trouble locating the purple trimmer? But I am sure they are obtainable?

Uksoundz
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Uksoundz » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:56 pm

sinus trouble wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:46 pm Greetings Mr Soundz :)

The other parts are all still available from Dutch RF Shop (SAA1057, PIC16F84A, BF199, 2N4427)
The trimmer caps have a couple of options? A 6-80PF red can be used in the output but may have pinout differences? I now use the Teflon 5-65PF type, A bit overkill but are robust and fit the PCB perfectly

Thanks Sinus. So you use the 5-65pf trimmers for all the trimmers?

As you can tell from these questions im no expeet here, and for the record it's unlikely that I'd use this, I just find this kind of electronics building fascinating. I don't even have any test equipment so it would be foolish for me to stick it on air.

Guess it's just to see if i can build it from sourced parts and an inkjet printer on!!

Uksoundz
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Uksoundz » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:58 pm

sinus trouble wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:46 pm Greetings Mr Soundz :)

Thanks Sinus. So you use the 5-65pf trimmers for all the trimmers?

As you can tell from these questions im no expeet here, and for the record it's unlikely that I'd use this, I just find this kind of electronics building fascinating. I don't even have any test equipment so it would be foolish for me to stick it on air.

Guess it's just to see if i can build it from sourced parts and an inkjet printer PCB!!

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Glad to help Mr Soundz :)

Just to clarify, It would be foolish to stick ANY FM transmitter on air without licence..... Irrespective of your ability!

As seen there are four trimmer caps! The oscillator trimmer (purple) is around 5-40PF and is physically smaller, The rest are 5-65PF (yellow)

A few things to bear in mind!

An inkjet printer will not be suitable, It must be a laser printer! PCB image has been pre reversed for transfer but will need re-sizing!

PCB Making also involves toxic chemicals and will be a very tedious task! Time and perseverance is needed!
There are many tutorials on this subject via the web if you have not done before?

The PIC16F84A will need to be pre programmed before fitting! The HEX file can be found at PIRA.CZ in the archive section!

I also have a new Version of the PCB which addresses pad problems that I had, I will post it soon!

Uksoundz
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Uksoundz » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:07 pm

sinus trouble wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:58 pm Glad to help Mr Soundz :)

Just to clarify, It would be foolish to stick ANY FM transmitter on air without licence..... Irrespective of your ability!

As seen there are four trimmer caps! The oscillator trimmer (purple) is around 5-40PF and is physically smaller, The rest are 5-65PF (yellow)

A few things to bear in mind!

An inkjet printer will not be suitable, It must be a laser printer! PCB image has been pre reversed for transfer but will need re-sizing!

PCB Making also involves toxic chemicals and will be a very tedious task! Time and perseverance is needed!
There are many tutorials on this subject via the web if you have not done before?

The PIC16F84A will need to be pre programmed before fitting! The HEX file can be found at PIRA.CZ in the archive section!

I also have a new Version of the PCB which addresses pad problems that I had, I will post it soon!
Thanks my friend. I will await your updated PCB, will order the parts and give this one a go after Christmas!

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:58 am

did this ever get updated ?

RF-Head
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by RF-Head » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:32 am

You can get all the parts here incl the Philips trimmers
https://www.hf-electronics.nl/Webwinkel ... 3Cnl%3E%3C![CDATA[Trimmers]]%3E%3C-nl%3E%3C-lng%3E.html

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 pm

I want to build it but there is mention of problems with it that was going to be updated and looks like the thread just died out.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:39 pm

XXL wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:58 am did this ever get updated ?
The simple answer is no.

At the time when i came up with the idea, There was not many available or affordable alternatives for me?

I must have built around 10 of these Exciters over the years and every single one worked great!
The only problem i found with the PCB was that some of the solder pads were sometimes damaged by the drilling process.

Obviously now times have changed and there are less labour consuming options.

I will post the modified PCB in a sec, I must warn you that i never built this version!

Currently i have no plans to reproduce this project? But if i did? It would most likely be a JLCPCB job! :)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:54 pm

Sinus 1W PLL V2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.