discone aerial

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
mixfm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

discone aerial

Post by mixfm » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:37 am

ve noticed a couple of stations in birmingham using discone aerials lately, they dont stick out as much as the dreaded diploe... more money thou... aint sure about the gain on these,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

s2000

Re: discone aerial

Post by s2000 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:41 pm

I have seen a few of these around London, but never for fm transmitting. As far as I know, it's a wideband antenna mainly used for receiving many different bands.

There is another antenna called a ground plane (which looks similiar to above) which is often used for fm, do you mean that one?

Ukfmlover
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Ukfmlover » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:44 pm

There £25 each so hardly more expensive! And I don’t get the point of the post? Are you asking if they perform well or are they better then a single diapole? 20-30 stations in London are using these id say there nowhere near as good as a diapole but that’s just my opionion I have never used one they seem to chop a lot more and are not as strong on house stereos either but for £25 there ok and I suppose they look more official but if there coming to get you using this Ariel won’t stop them ! How many stations are still on the fm in Birmingham mate?

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by yellowbeard » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:23 pm

The gain from a discone will be at best flat and most likely a loss. That design is for a large range of frequencies, so if you have to change channels you will not have to retune the antenna. Most examples will transmit from 20MHz to well over 1GHz, so if you have any spurs or harmonics or 1/4f - 1/2f, they will be broadcast just as efficiently as your fundamental. You'd need a clean rig. If you are looking for something less conspicuous, consider an "all rounder" type:

Code: Select all

http://www.satworld.ie/fm-circular-aerial.html
You'd have to hack out the balun circuit board and replace it with a 6:1 coax balun.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:16 am

If I wanted a low profile aerial, I always used a ⅞-wave. From the ground, it looked like a CB aerial, and gives a really weak signal below it, so you don't get saturation problems in the block, and the numpties trying to steal your gear will think that it's elsewhere!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

wazza

Post by wazza » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:32 am

I have also clocked the aerials used in Birmingham occasionally - I think they are ground plane antennas rather than the discone aerials mentioned above.

mixfm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mixfm » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:25 am

they are groundplanes...

mixfm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mixfm » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:27 am

here is one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

s2000

Post by s2000 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:47 pm

Looks like they've used bluetack to weatherproof it :lol:

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:01 pm

If it works.....

We used to use "Iospon" car bodywork filler to waterproof aerials a few years ago!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)