PRO 3 Stereo Coder

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

PRO 3 Stereo Coder

Post by sinus trouble » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:58 pm

Hello Necks!
I have searched the NET far and wide for info on this PCB and had no luck!
However! I believe it is very similar to the design Sir Moss used on his 1 - 5 Watt VFOs which I happen to have!
The PRO 4 is truly superior but I like the simplicity and it is genius the way it works!
Pisses all over most basic coders out there today! :lol:
Anyway I thought id share my first copy! Parts list and layout to follow!
003 - Copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am as stupid as I look! :|

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Re: PRO 3 Stereo Coder

Post by nrgkits.nz » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:29 pm

Here's the original manual:
http://www.gareth.net.nz/nrgdocs/Pro3_Stereo_Coder.pdf

I have gerber files, will upload them later

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:44 am

Note - there is an error in the circuit diagram (my fault, I'm afraid). The pre-emphasis resistors should be 47k on both channels. One of them is incorrectly marked 4k7. The components on the PCB layout and in the parts list are correct.

There is one simple (and cheap) improvement that you can make to this coder - replace the CD4016 with a CD4066. This will reduce distortion from about 1% down to 0.1%. The 4066 is a pin-for-pin drop-in replacement.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:21 pm

nrgkits.nz wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:29 pm Here's the original manual:
You are the man Mr NZ!!! Much appreciated!
I did not realize there was a mono/stereo select jumper which is handy! I learn something new everyday! :lol:

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Albert H wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:44 am Note - there is an error in the circuit diagram (my fault, I'm afraid). The pre-emphasis resistors should be 47k on both channels. One of them is incorrectly marked 4k7. The components on the PCB layout and in the parts list are correct.
Dear dear! Amateur error Mr Albert! :lol:
I think I recollect you mentioning that you assisted Sir Moss on most of the NRG projects! Salute to you both for these legendary creations! :)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Albert H wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:44 am There is one simple (and cheap) improvement that you can make to this coder - replace the CD4016 with a CD4066. This will reduce distortion from about 1% down to 0.1%. The 4066 is a pin-for-pin drop-in replacement.
Cheers Mr Albert! I will do just that! Cricklewood electronics is not far from me so I shall pop in there some time next week!
Unfortunately they don't stock the 4.864mhz crystals :( They do have some other interesting stuff like trim coils etc which I have been meaning to get for some time now!
Enigma seem to have the correct crystals and other bits in stock so I will be contacting them soon! :)

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:36 am

I have a bag full of 4.864mhz crystals I picked up from www.taobao.com for next to nothing

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:41 am

sinus trouble wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:34 pm
Albert H wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:44 am Note - there is an error in the circuit diagram (my fault, I'm afraid). The pre-emphasis resistors should be 47k on both channels. One of them is incorrectly marked 4k7. The components on the PCB layout and in the parts list are correct.
Dear dear! Amateur error Mr Albert! :lol:
I think I recollect you mentioning that you assisted Sir Moss on most of the NRG projects! Salute to you both for these legendary creations! :)
The Pro II coder was Stephen's design, and he came up with the neat little square PCB for it. There was a problem with the coder, though in that the input sockets would be right and left randomly - each time you switched it on, there was a 50 : 50 chance that the channels would be the wrong way around!

I came up with a couple of simple modifications - using the reset input of the 4013 during start-up and guaranteeing that the bistable would always switch in the right "sense", allowing the input sockets to be labelled "left" and "right". The other modification involved adding some extra diodes, with two of them forcing both channels "on" in mono mode, and suppressing the pilot tone. The one-wire switch to make the LEDs change over was also my idea. These modifications were added to differentiate Stephen's product from the "Veronica" effort down the road, and they added virtually nothing to the component costs, but improved the function of the coder markedly.

We found some nice bi-colour LEDs that we used in ready-built gear - when you flipped the mono / stereo switch, the LED changed colour. We also used these for the simple modulation indicator that I came up with - green for OK level, and red for peaks.

I also came up with a two-LED indicator for adjusting the VCO trimmer, using an op-amp, and using the 5V supply to derive the reference. We planned to include this on the next run of PCBs, since many users found that adjustment to be tricky.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Electronically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:49 am

I've had one of those circuits .When balancing the right and left audio there not so good one sounds louder than other when there balanced they go off balance at times on its own .bit of a pain really not worth putting one of these together .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:54 am

The Pro III is simple to set up. Just put a tone into both channels in turn, adjusting the presets for the peak deviation you want, making sure that both channels deviate the same. Done!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Electronically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:04 am

tried that .When it was balanced it would sound slightly louder on one side and other wasn't so good after a couple minutes .Veronica stereo decoder wasn't that good .The very first one they had was good .

shorty
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by shorty » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:08 am

Scans of the silk screen and track side of a pro 3 coder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: PRO 3 Stereo Coder

Post by Electronically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:13 am

shorty wrote:Scans of the silk screen and track side of a pro 3 coder
confused I thought it was stereo coder pro 2 from veronica .But I've never tried this board .Where do I get my hands on one them ?

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Electronically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:15 am

Sorry Albert I've mixed up with veronica board .But I've not tried pro 3 board .
Albert H wrote:The Pro III is simple to set up. Just put a tone into both channels in turn, adjusting the presets for the peak deviation you want, making sure that both channels deviate the same. Done!

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:48 am

Here's the gerber files I use:
http://www.gareth.net.nz/nrgdocs/nrg/pro_3_coder/

And you can easily get 4.864MHz crystals from Aliexpress also:
https://tinyurl.com/y8apezs4

You also need set the padding capacitors for different batches of crystals, you need a scope or freq counter for this but will ensure its operating spot on 4.864MHz

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:18 pm

shorty wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:08 am Scans of the silk screen and track side of a pro 3 coder
Nice quality scans Mr Shorty! I think I will scrap my earlier version and copy those! :D

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:31 pm

nrgkits.nz wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:48 am Here's the gerber files I use:

And you can easily get 4.864MHz crystals from Aliexpress also:

You also need set the padding capacitors for different batches of crystals, you need a scope or freq counter for this but will ensure its operating spot on 4.864MHz
Blimey!! 100 crystals for less than a fiver!! That Aliexpress is really cheap! :shock:
Too many crystals for me though lol! Do you still produce the coders?
I do like the PAs you had too! Neat! Even the steel housings are impressive!

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:54 am

Electronically wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:13 am
shorty wrote:Scans of the silk screen and track side of a pro 3 coder
confused I thought it was stereo coder pro 2 from veronica .But I've never tried this board .Where do I get my hands on one them ?

Gareth in New Zealand may be able to help you with a PCB. I have built them on Veroboard - that's how the first prototypes were done. There is a Version Pro IIIb that Stephen and I had done - the only change was to use the last op-amp in the TL074 to develop the ½-rail for the input stages and the output filter. We also considered adding a bit more filtering to the output to make it a bit cleaner, but found that there was little benefit in the additional complexity.

I think that I've got a Veroboard layout for one of these somewhere. I'll dig it out an post it on here.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)