BIG rigs

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Analyser
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: BIG rigs

Post by Analyser » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:40 pm

Maximus wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:49 am Thought they were Dutch/London hybrid rigs. Tbf I heard a lot of good things about them in the past. Just thought it’s good practice to fit a lpf in this day and age.
They all have filters. They're the big coils near the output of the PA boards.
Maximus wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:49 am
The local station using a bw rig can be heard on both 107 & 105 fm. Not my job to sort it.
What you're hearing is either a mix (less likely) or your receiver being overloaded (more likely). I will eat my own shoes if that BW rig is sprogging on 107 & 105MHz.

Frequent Lee
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Frequent Lee » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:28 pm

I can confirm that I've seen the bench tests from ofcom on my confiscated rigs, the 300/150 red PCB J ones.
They are clean enough. That's why the designs remained the same, no need to change it. Standard BW layout anyway.

Transmitter Man
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Transmitter Man » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:19 am

Analysers correct re the BW rig, that is unless it's developed a fault or has had inexperienced hands inside without a spec ani or good scope at hand.

Most all, including community stations require a visit from Ofcon to test power and emissions prior to starting formal broadcasting and last time I looked Dave T carried an Anritsu with him, or was it an Agilent, I forget so, no sproggy BW gear and certainly none allowed on-air, at a licensed station at least.

Al,

Do you mean Cyprus or Greece?

Brand of rig or a no-name?

Transmitter Man
A man's got to know the limitations of his test gear.

- Harry Callahan

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:57 am

TX Man: It came through Cyprus AFAIK and was manufactured by RVR. It was a complete piece of expensively boxed crap.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)