linking

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Rigrat
ne guy
ne guy

linking

Post by Rigrat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:35 pm

hi dudes any thoughts on linking from studio to tx site I cant see the site from studio therefore microwave out of the question iv been paying with a mobile dongle and old tablet this works ok receiving internet stream but drops out
fairly frequently and not because of a poor stream just connection seems to drop then doesn't reconnect and ideas please

Analyser
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: linking

Post by Analyser » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Band 1, 3, 4 radio link?

g2000
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by g2000 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Could replace the tablet with a raspberry pi... A bit easier to ensure stream always restarts...

Can get teamviewer on them now as well...

OgreVorbis
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by OgreVorbis » Mon May 01, 2017 1:34 am

I agree with the PI. You can do so much more with that. I would get a directional wifi antenna and maybe even a sunhans amp if necessary for more range. This way you can install icecast on the PI and stream the audio over wifi. There may be a better audio streaming program than icecast (one that doesn't use audio compression would be optimal for 192khz stereo streams, but I am unaware of any at the moment that support this). Icecast is meant for web streaming so data bandwidth was intended to be limited for this so they compress the audio, but using it over wifi works fine and it has plenty of bandwidth, so it would be nice if there was a way to turn off compression.

Anyway, another reason why I love the idea of using a PI is because you can get relay kits and ADC kits for it, so you can have a remote power/on/off and also remote SWR measurement and power output by reading the voltage from the directional coupler into one of these ADCs. You could use a digipot to control the bias for power output control as well.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-4-c ... s/overview

And then you can basically write python scripts to control everything, so basically you download putty onto your computer and enter the IP address of the PI. Then you can just write whatever commands you make in the python script. So like for example you make a script that turns on/off a relay (you can find easy examples for this all over the net). Then you make the command whtever you want like "power -on" or "power -off" or whatever. Then you could make another command like "swr" and it just prints out the SWR on the screen. It would be so high tech and amazing. If you know web development, you can even control these scripts from a web interface, so it could look like a pro station setup for only a 100 quid or so, of course time is money though and it would probably take a long time to get it all working. I def going to try this at some point.

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Mon May 01, 2017 3:43 am

I've seen the 5ghz ubiquiti dishes going for about £45 a pair second hand on eBay. I'm guessing it's pretty much los as that frequency though. Would like to have a try linking full RDS MPX. Slightly Ot I'd like to find out what how the traffic/sat nav telemetry is also broadcasted ota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g2000
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by g2000 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:28 pm

Icecast can do flac/ogg which will do 192khz and your MPX :)