Cheap 192khz sound card

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Cheap 192khz sound card

Post by Maximus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi Necks. Thought I'd try and return a favour to everyone.

Maplin do a half decent sound card (which is probably an oem Chinese thing).

It works well with RDS etc. Plus they can be found for £25 second hand.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-hd-71- ... GwoddRcIWw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Re: Cheap 192khz sound card

Post by nrgkits.nz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:05 am

Do you know if its AC or DC coupled? If its AC coupled it might be worth pulling it apart and seeing if the capacitors on the output can be bypassed.

The majority of soundcards these days are AC coupled for driving speakers and headphones etc... Connecting the MPX input of a transmitter to an AC coupled soundcard will cause problems with low frequencies around 30hz. A square wave doesn't come out as a square wave and needs "tilt correction" to prevent over deviating.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:03 am

You can get much cheaper ones if you shop around on Ebay! I just got a couple of 192kHz Soundblasters for $14 each including postage from Malaysia. I've bought stuff from this seller before, and he's always been reliable.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:20 am

A lot of computers have a 192 kHz capable soundcard on the motherboard nowadays. I've got two Dells at home that are like this - a T5500 and a slimline Optiplex (a fairly new one - I think it's a 990).
One thing you've got to be careful of though is whether it samples each channel half of the time, thus making it 2 x 96 = 192 kHz but not useful for what we want to do. Lots of modern oscilloscopes do this.