What meter is Mr Hollings using?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
radio-berlin
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: What meter is Mr Hollings using?

Post by radio-berlin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:08 am

I've got one of his normal 5/8's here given to me exactly the same as in them photos but without the second length on the top.
It's not base fed as such as it has a stub at the bottom, you make it longer as you lower the freq, however I can tell you it's now swr'ing in and I cannot get 50ohm on it for the life of me.
When I 'attempt' to make a 5/8 I always measure out my 5/8 section and the put a coil at the bottom of it so that electrically it appears to be 3/4 wavelength, this has always matched nicer to 50ohm for me.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: What meter is Mr Hollings using?

Post by Albert H » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:55 am

That's the right way to do it. I used to make my ⅝-wave job electrically ¾-wave then bend the groundplanes downward to get to a 50Ω resistive match. I experimented with all sorts of groundplane configurations and sizes, but found that the useful minimum for groundplanes that do anything useful is to have three ¼-wave ones, but the ultimate was to have a ¼-wave cone! Plotting the radiation pattern, I found that the gain was closer than ever to its theoretical figure using the cone. However, making and mounting the damn thing was a massive hassle, and wasn't actually worth the extra effort! One interesting thing I tried - partially to prove to an "expert" that the loading coil didn't radiate - I put the loading coil inside the cone, and the results were just the same!

I had endless trouble matching ⅜-wave aerials. These should show significant improvement over a ¼-wave, but because of the matching trouble, they didn't really work for me. Then I found an article in QSL about the .64-wave aerial.....

Matched correctly, a .64 vertical gives the best radiation pattern you can get with a single element. It's only marginally longer than the ⅝-wave, but I was surprised by the increase in the low angle radiation. If you have a really high site, this will give you more low-angle radiation - instead of 23° you get 15°:
Radiation Angle.jpg
The results are significant: 4dBd which is a useful power gain without building a bigger PA!
0.64-Pattern.jpg
It's possible to build these without groundplanes, but you then need a big feed capacitor. I made a sliding-sleeve matcher which worked well, but again was more hassle than it was worth.

You can just use the dimensions for the usual ⅝-wave, then add a bit to the radiator, and remove a turn or two from the matching coil to get it going. I was surprised by the improvement in coverage at distance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

What meter is Mr Hollings using?

Post by Maximus » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:55 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322430641266

Looks like he's advertising 200w systems as 500w erp. Very misleading to a newbie.

Edit: looks like someone else selling it second hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk