NRG Pro2 40W TX

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

NRG Pro2 40W TX

Post by MiXiN » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:22 pm

My mate has been offered an NRG pro2 & 40W amplifier from a guy on another forum. I'm told they're both in one box, not separate.

What disadvantages, if any, does the Pro2 have compared to the Pro3?

He told me the amp uses a BLY93C, but from my research I see this is a 25W Transistor - so will this even do 40W? I always thought the NRG 40W amp used the BLW60C as standard.

He's asked for £100 and that includes postage, but he'd like some input before parting with the money.

I'm only familiar with the Pro3 & Pro 4, so thought I'd ask the experts on his behalf who might have used one of these in the past.

theproducer
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Re: NRG Pro2 40W TX

Post by theproducer » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:30 pm

best off asking nrg-uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theproducer

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:09 pm

The Pro II didn't have out-of-lock power-down as standard. The Pro II board only delivered 1 Watt and had two yellow output trimmers. The BLY93C is rated at 70 Watts dissipation which suggests that at 65% efficiency, you'll get about 40 Watts out with 4 Watts of drive (it has about 10dB gain at 100 MHz and 28V supply). I've had 55 Watts out of one - critically tuned - on the bench, but wouldn't push one that hard in the Real World™. Stephen sometimes added the OLPD to the underside of the Pro II board.

The PA should be a two-stage affair, and the mains transformer should be a toroid. All the RF connections should be neatly made with RG58-type coax. There should be a third, smaller PCB inside the box, which has the fuses, rectifier, low voltage regulator, and supply for the fan. If the rig is in working order, it's certainly worth £100, as long as it hasn't been fiddled with.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:43 pm

Alright Albert,

Thanks as always for the input.

I've tried to get in contact with my mate a little later than reading your reply, but he must be asleep or busy, so I've texted him and told him to go for it if it's still available.

If he buys it, I'll ask him to send some images over so I can post here.

I've never seen the Pro2 and the amp he's asked me about so it'll be interesting to see it.