smart meter interference in the us

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

smart meter interference in the us

Post by radionortheast » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:18 am

found this the other day they interfere with amature band above 900 mhz, says they are about 1w, seems quite alot! i’m not sure if the things in the uk do the same?, lot of people have had them fitted pretty pointless if you ask me, you can’t turn off stuff anyway, could of had cheaper bills the money been wasted into those adverts. :)

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: smart meter interference in the us

Post by MiXiN » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:21 am

I do a lot of listening around on HF (Under 30Mhz), and often get about S5 of noise until the early hours of the morning.

I think it's either these or the new LED streetlamps that have been fitted on the streets recently, so maybe the shit they emit is wideband?

I need to get out & about on the streets near to me with a scanner & find exactly where it's coming from, because listening to HF is pretty much pointless half of the time unless signals are S7 or above.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:52 am

LED street lamps are just one of the many sources of wideband RF noise. Pretty much every switched-mode Power Supply will radiate some amount of crap. The manufacturers point at their "certifications" and claim that they don't generate noise. The certifications are usually worthless - they actually allow a certain amount of broadband hash. One PSU on its own might not cause too much of a problem, but when you get hundreds of the damn things all around you, in your computer, TV, mobile phone charger, street lamps, shop windows, and almost every other piece of electronic gear, the "electro-smog" is impenetrable.

Incidentally - you really don't want a "Smart Meter" - it gives the easy opportunity for the electricity supply company (or any other interested party) to remotely disconnect the supply to your home.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:23 am

Some power line adapters can be a nuisance as well. They used to play havoc on my amateur radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radionortheast » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:57 pm

those switched mode power supplies are nasty, your recommended not use them around your wifi router, they can slow internet down to a crawl. :)

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:26 pm

Albert H wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:52 am Incidentally - you really don't want a "Smart Meter" - it gives the easy opportunity for the electricity supply company (or any other interested party) to remotely disconnect the supply to your home.
I didn't think they were all physically large enough to contain a contactor.
Maximus wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:23 am All power line adapters are a nuisance.
Fixed it for you.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Pranker - the two I saw had contactors mounted laterally in the back of them. They were labelled 100A
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)