Playout automation software and computers.

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
alfaeire
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Playout automation software and computers.

Post by alfaeire » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:05 am

howdy all.
for the last few years we have been using standard pc towers running XP (I know.. but it works!) and Zaras Free version.

Recently have had a few issues, Harddrives failing, bios corrupting etc and its becoming a pain in the ass, the PC's that we use are from a local companys very supportive IT man thats supposed to have them dumped.. there lies some of our problems, they had pre existing issues.

so ive been looking at alternitives.

Anyone here use Raspberry Pi?
Ive just been looking at Rivendell Radio Automation, anyone used it?
It will run really well on the newest Pi, but the audio is reputed to be poor. So there are some audio boards that have been developed specifically for the Pi to give hi quality audio at a reasonable price.

Essentially you could have a whole playout PC and great audio for about 50 - 80euros, its small enough to stick in a rucksack with the cables if you ever have to bail out of the studio.

Heres a demo i found on youtube,

We have also been using them for our link, we encode our audio to an internal stream on the network using WME.. using a ubiquity wifi panel plugged into the router, it links to a ubiquity panel on the TX end connected into a PI, the PI has xmbc installed and plays our stream from the network with a maximum of a 5km range with the specific panels we use.

Ive also just gotten a relay board that is controlled via the PI's GPIO pins, the plan is to remote into the PI and to turn on and off the TX with a line of code rather than going to our TX site.

Just fishing for any other tips and tricks people are using to save on space and cash.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Playout automation software and computers.

Post by Albert H » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:27 am

I've run Rivendell on a number of stations, and have contributed to the project. I've not tried to run it on a Raspberry Pi - I use good quality PCs with nice sound cards and touch screens in the studio for playout / self operation.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:51 pm

I use http://www.radiodj.ro
It works well with stereo tool and has enough features to keep me happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:19 pm

i still on use of raduga and radiodj

SundayGroover
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by SundayGroover » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:57 pm

We use Rivendell at my (legal) station, after ditching Wide Orbit years ago. Works well.