Stereo to Mono question

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Stereo to Mono question

Post by MiXiN » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:00 am

Alright necks,

Can anyone tell me how to convert a Stereo line out to a Mono to use into a mono limiter?

Is it as simple as twisting the left & right outputs together just before entering the limiter, or is this no good?

ragga
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: Stereo to Mono question

Post by ragga » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:40 am

You cant just tie the leads together . one channel with try to drive the other as the stereo outputs have a lower impedance than your limiter.
The simplest way is to sum the grounds and then add the Left and right but not before you have added a resistor to each channel.
My old link box has the grounds soldered together to make your new mono gound and then both left and right signals go through a 2K resistor each before they are soldered together to make the new mono signal.

I'm sure there are more elegant ways but this will prevent you destroying your gear

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:53 pm

Ragga - your way is fine. I might use slightly higher value resistors (probably 4k7), but otherwise your description is fine. I actually still have a stereo to mono lead with the resistors inside the plug shroud at the mono end.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:53 pm

Nice one guys.

Albert - do you think that this adaptor is likely to contain the resistors necessary for this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Mono-Ja ... XQlgtS3P81

ragga
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by ragga » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:31 am

Feeling a bit lazy mixin ¿
I don't know about that one you'd have to buy it and pull it apart ...are you going through a desk ?
Pan both channels hard left ...or right and use that.
Although I'm sure there are leads for sale with the resistors inside the jack ...probably 1/4 inch though. The name "Wye" comes to mind as in a "Y" lead but spelt Wye......I'm sure I've seen them maybe even on Amazon ?

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:08 pm

MiXiN wrote:Nice one guys.

Albert - do you think that this adaptor is likely to contain the resistors necessary for this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Mono-Ja ... XQlgtS3P81
No.

I don't think that I've ever seen a commercial, ready-made one. I've always made them up myself. Remember - it's well worth learning to solder properly, since you'll save a fortune in leads. The component parts are always cheaper if you buy in quantity.

I needed a load of XLR leads for my studio. I could buy them for £8.50 each, or I could make them - at the lengths that I wanted - for just £3.50 each!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:39 pm

I don't have a mixing desk just now.
I'm just using the line out of a CD player to test a mono limiter that I've picked up.
I'm pretty good at soldering but quite lazy so thought I'd ask about that eBay adaptor, but as it's probably bunk, I'll knock the stereo > mono conversion lead up with the resistors as mentioned above instead.
Thanks again guys - and if you don't hear from you until next year, have a great Xmas & happy new year.